Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Weekly Status Update - 09|12|27


Better late than never, right... Anywho, most of the week I was trying to think of different things to do with mushrooms. Sunday night I decided to make Mushroom Soup. It called for 8 1/2 cups of mushrooms. A carton of mushrooms is 8 oz and my hungry logic converted 8 oz to one cup. The carton looked bigger than a cup and even confirmed "8 oz = cup fact" with the stocker so of course I bought 8 cartons of mushrooms.

For your reference 8 oz of mushrooms is actually 3 cups. The one and only time I considered returning groceries, I misplaced my receipt. Immediately, I made a double batch of mushroom soup.

Here's the recipe :

5 oz bread
4 tbsp butter
1 small onion
8 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms
1 garlic clove
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2/3 cup red wine
4 cup veggie or chicken stock
salt pepper

1. soak bread 10 min. drain and squeeze.

2. In large pot, melt butter, add onion. Add garlic and mushrooms. Cook till mushrooms release liquid.

3. Add bread and thyme and pour in wine. Cook till alcohol evaporates. Pour in stock. Cover simmer 30 min.

4. Blend together

--

Then I came up with a "Chicken and Rice Soup" Recipe with what I had around the house :

1 chicken breast
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
splash of olive oil
8 oz of mushrooms
3 carrots
splash of white wine
5 cups of chicken stock
tarragon
fennel
white pepper
bay leaf
1 1/2 cups of steamed rice
dallop of sour cream

1. Cube chicken. In large pot heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic. Add chicken.

2. Cook chicken for the most part. Add chopped mushrooms and coined carrots. Shake in tarragon, fennel, and white pepper.

3. Add a splash of white wine. Then chicken stock. Add 1 bay leaf. Cover and let simmer 30 min.

4. Take out bay leaf. Add Steamed rice. Stir. Add a small dallop of sour cream. Stir.

--

I took the last carton of mushrooms home for the holidays and served them up with eggs and sausage for breakfast.


--

With mushrooms on the brain I made a Mushroom Cloud Mobile! yay!

Felt mushrooms are made with a long rectangle of felt spiraled up into cylinder and stitched shut. Then cut circle of felt and stitch a loose running stitch along outer edge. Pull tight to make sack, then stuff with fiberfill. Hot Glue cylinder inside mushroom cap. Waaa laaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment